Sunday, December 12, 2010

It sometimes has to get worse

before it gets better.  That is, if you are working on building strength or improving your ability to do something.  As a physical therapist, I am regularly driving people to their limits so that their limits will be challenged.  As a result, they get better and their limits become smaller.  I have no problem understanding that concept from a physical perspective, but for some reason I don't always grasp that idea from a spiritual perspective.  I have to get out of the mindset that comfort is what I am working for.  I know that attitude is a hindrance to growth.

James 1:2-4 states, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."


No comments:

Post a Comment