Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A high pain tolerance: the law of

the threshold.  Actually, I am not sure if this idea is a law or not.  I have been thinking about this idea a lot.  I would like to give a few examples of the concept.  When asked to rate his pain on a scale from 0-10 (0 being no pain-10 being the worst pain ever), the individual recalls when he was buried alive in a stone pile and survived to tell about it.  He tells me, that being buried alive was a 10 and so his back pain is a 3.   Now he really does have a high tolerance for pain.  His threshold for pain was raised by his life experience.

When running, I have found 3 miles seems like a long way until I raise my threshold to 13 miles.  Once I train for 13 miles, 3 miles seems like a leisure stroll in the park. 

When giving speeches, before I allow myself to get nervous, I think of prior speeches and how much was on the line in giving those speeches.  The most important speech I have ever given was in a foreign country in front of a judge and prosecutor that would determine the future of our family.  Now, I compare all other speeches to that experience and it keeps things in perspective.  My stress threshold, when giving speeches, has been raised by my life experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment