Saturday, January 1, 2011

Like Mike

Remember the Gatorade commercial that talked about flying, moving and groving just like Michael Jordan?  I remember watching that on "Channel One" in home room my freshman year in High School.  It always got me pumped up.  I loved it when that commercial came on.  I waited for it every morning.  I felt a shot of adrenaline after watching that commercial (and I was a wrestler not a basketball player).  I think the idea was that if we drank Gatorade, we might somehow become like Mike.  Well, no matter how hard we worked, or how many bottles of Gatorade we drank, we were not going to be like Mike. We could do some things Michael Jordan did, like; shoot a basketball, run up and down a basketball court, make jump shots, wear Air Jordan shoes and...drink Gatorade.  But, we would never do these things just like Mike. Michael Jordan was blessed with genetic gifts that allowed him to do the amazing things he did.

At "The Exchanged Life" series in 2009 at First Christian Church, I heard Dr. John Geib provide the above illustration and ask the following question: what if, though, Michael Jordan could have somehow came and lived inside of us?  What if he could have taken over our bodies?  How would that have changed our ability to play basketball?

No comments:

Post a Comment