Sunday, June 16, 2024

Forgiveness. One of Dad's Super Powers

Good morning, and happy Father’s Day to all the men who serve in a mentoring role. As we prepare for communion this morning, I’d like to start with a question: Have you ever had a “my dad is going to kill me” moment? One of mine involved a beautiful, full-size, four-wheel-drive 1979 Chevy Blazer with two-toned light and dark blue paint. Our driveway was down an icy hill, and one day, I misjudged it. As I tried to turn in, the ice sent me sliding into a concrete-filled light pole, leaving three big dents in the fender. Without cell phones back then, I had to wait until the end of the day to tell my dad. I spent all day worrying—through classes, wrestling practice, and the drive home—rehashing how I would break the news to him. When I finally told him, he saw my sincerity and regret, and he forgave me quickly, without making me feel guilty. It’s one of my best memories of my dad—how he forgave so readily and completely.


Our Heavenly Father provides an amazing story about forgiveness through a parable in Luke 15. Jesus tells the story of a young man who makes a huge mistake, asking for his inheritance early and wasting it on wild living. His life hits rock bottom, and he finds himself willing to eat the same food as pigs. This desperation brings him to his senses, and he decides to return to his father, hoping for any kind of handout. Here is where the story picks up:


“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him, and kissed him. The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ But the father said to his servants, ’Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.”

Father’s Day can be hard for those who didn’t experience this kind of forgiveness from their earthly fathers. The good news is that our Heavenly Father offers perfect forgiveness through His perfect Son, Jesus Christ. Weekly communion is a wonderful time to learn how to accept forgiveness and move on. You may have learned guilt-ridden patterns of thinking because of bad forgiveness habits growing up, but Christ encourages us to examine our hearts, change the way we think about our sin, pray for forgiveness, and move on. Philippians 3:13-14 states, “Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal for which Christ Jesus has called me.”

Dads, grandpas, uncles, men who lead the younger generations, our goal is to make disciples of all the nations so never underestimate the power of your influence, words, loving actions, and forgiveness. You are more often caught than taught. Know that when you lead, your loving Savior forgives you and forgives those you lead. Lead humbly. Lead bravely in challenging environments where you can help to break bad habitual thought patterns to help build future generations for Christ. Forget what is behind and strain ahead!


Let’s pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment