Sunday, January 2, 2022

Power of the Providential Pause

As we prepare for communion this morning, I would like to talk about the Power of the Providential Pause. I want to start by asking a few questions and then share something that has helped me deal with the feels.  In the last 48 hours, how many of you have felt any of the following: Read emotions of anger, sadness, and then confusion? 

Anger

Sad

Confusion

Happy

Strong

Energized

Annoyed

Raging

Livid

Fed Up

Irritated

Mad

Critical

Agitated

Resentful

Disgusted

Outraged

Furious

Bitter

Upset

Sorrowful

Crushed

Dejected

Heavy

Depressed

Disgusted

Hateful

Mournful

Weepy

Desperate

Frustrated

Doubtful

Hesitant

Uncertain

Shy

Unsure

Pessimistic

Indecisive

Perplexed

Embarrassed

Lost

Tense

Glad

Content

Joyful

Grateful

Pleased

Optimistic

Amused

Delighted

Charmed

Loving

Marvelous

Powerful

Confident

Empowered

Unique

Sure

Certain

Dynamic

Bold

Determined

Hardy

Tenacious

Secure

Ambitious

Healthy

Motivated

Refreshed

Strengthened

Inspired

Determined

Creative

Renewed

Vibrant

Focused

Invigorated


If you went grocery shopping on New Year’s Eve, I guarantee you experienced half of those emotions, and if you are a Brown’s fan, I assure you have felt them all!  When it comes to emotions, I want to ask a question: What is the wise thing to do when those emotions are high? How do you say no to the emotions that compete for your control?  Your feelings are not who you are. You are a child of God. Communion reminds us Christ lives in us.  It is normal to want those emotions to go away.  Instead, welcome those emotions and look at them through the frame of Jesus and the cross. 


Let me explain. Here is where the providential pause comes in. When your emotions are high, I want to encourage you to hit pause. I want to guide you through prayer now. This is the prayer I use to help when My emotions are high and other times for that matter.  Please bow your heads or sit tall and look downward or at the cross.  Take a few deep breaths and say this, “Our Father, Who Art in Heaven.”


By doing so, you are saying, God, you are my father. You love me. That means you are patient with me and my emotions, you are kind when I don’t feel kind, and you are not rude when I feel like I am. You keep no record of wrongs. You forgive me when I fall short. You do not delight in evil, but you rejoice in the truth. Help me know your truth. You always protect, trust, hope, and persevere. You will not fail me.  Who art in heaven. Thank you for loving me unlike any earthly father could.


Help me be patient with others. In fact, I have one person I am thinking about now. Help me be kind, help me not be envious. Help me not be boastful, help me not be rude or self-seeking. Help me keep no record of wrongs. Help me not to delight in evil, but rejoice in your truth and to always protect those around me. Help me always trust, hope, and persevere for those I encounter.


Praise God for the positive emotions He provides (Happy, Strong, and Energized).


No comments:

Post a Comment