Saturday, November 7, 2015

Why do we say short prayers?


Communion Thoughts November 8, 2015- inspired by Andy Stanley's "Permission to Speak Freely" podcast in 2007 and God's word.

Communion Thoughts November 8, 2015

What do you do when you know your will is not God’s will?

For instance:

·         You know God wants you to apologize, but you don’t want to.

·         You know He wants you to donate time or money, but you don’t want to.

·         You know He wants you to tell the whole truth, but you would rather leave some parts out.

·         Maybe it’s a health issue.  You are praying for healing for someone, but it just isn’t happening. 

What do you do?   Jesus prayed.  Jesus prayed a lot.  The length of Jesus’ prayers seemed related to the alignment of His will and God’s.  For instance:

In John, when Lazarus had been dead four days we read that Jesus wept.  Then he said a quick prayer:

John 11:40-44New International Version (NIV)

40 Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?”

41 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”   43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” 44 The dead man came out…

 

That was a quick prayer.  God, I know you want Lazarus to be healed and I am just praying so other people know you are doing this and not me. 

What about when Jesus’ will did not align with God’s will?  The night before he was betrayed, Jesus prayed long enough for his disciples to fall asleep three different times.   What was His struggle?  The will:   

Matthew 26:38-42New International Version (NIV)

38 Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”  39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”  40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”   42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

 

Trying to align our will with God’s will is not always easy.  Jesus sweat blood and He was part of God.  What determines the length of your prayers?   How do you wrestle with God’s will when it is not in alignment with yours?  As we prepare for communion and reflect on His sacrifice.   May we remember how the spirit is willing, but our flesh is weak.  May we connect with Him in a way that gives us power to do His will.

Prayer: Make us willing to do your will.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment