Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Self Fulfilling Prophecy

I recently met with a colleague.  We were discussing trends in our profession and he reminded me to be careful of how I forecasted the future based upon prior experiences.  He insinuated that the way I was speaking could bring about a self fulfilling prophecy.  His willingness to be direct and honest caused me to pause and think more about the way I speak.   Was I being negative in my thinking or speaking facts? 

Either way, I believe the key is to speak the truth with hope for the future.  When individuals are sick, we want to believe they will be healed.  When people lose their jobs, we want to believe they will get new and better ones.  When people want to become famous baseball players, movie stars and writers, it is important to do our best to encourage our friends and loved ones, yet we also have to be mindful of the truth.  Self efficacy drives our performance and our futures.  I would hate to miss out on becoming who God wants me and my family to become because of my failure to believe in the plans God may have to provide a bright future full of hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment