Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pursue gentleness: Power under control

I am ashamed to say that, out of all the things in life I am trying to pursue, gentleness has not been on the top of my list.  I don't believe I have thought of gentleness as something to chase after.  However, 1 Timothy 6:11 encourages us to pursue gentleness.  The idea, here, is to actually try to grow in our ability to be gentle.  Gentleness is also one of the fruits of the spirit.  What kind of gentleness should we pursue?

According to http://kevinmartineau.ca/our-world-needs-more-gentlenes/, the Greek definition of gentleness is "power under control."   This definition does not imply that we pursue passive behavior in life.  We know we are to live with zeal, perseverance and to stand firm in our faith.  In humility, we understand our power comes from the Lord, but we work at controlling the power we have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment