Sunday, May 15, 2011

Walking to school every day

I had a client in his 80s come and see me the other day.  He was frustrated that he was late because  a school bus had stopped several times to pick up children who would be attending their school that was within walking distance.  He stated, "When I was a kid, we walked to school every day no matter what the conditions were like outside."  He said, "Of course, that was in the 1930s."

Hearing him say this made me pause and think, "Who will tell the 'I had to walk to school' stories once this generation passes?"  I believe our "Greatest Generation" has a strong understanding of how good we have it these days.  They know what it was like to live in times of very little and through several wars.   There is something more meaningful about hearing this message straight from a person who lived in the moment than reading about it in a book.  We have got to learn as much from our elders as possible before it is too late.   .

No comments:

Post a Comment