Sunday, March 13, 2011

More power!

"The spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self discipline." (2 Timothy 1:7)
To be timid means to be fearful, hesitant, lack confidence and slow in making decisions.   To have self discipline means to have control of one's thoughts, feelings, emotions and actions for the purpose of making progress. To have power means we have access to God's power in our life.  Power is the great or marked ability to do or act; capability of doing something or accomplishing something.  It also means the possession of control.  Another definition identifies power as having energy. (definitions adapted from dictionary.com)

A friend of mine recently reminded me of the statement, "I can't, but He can."  When it comes to overcoming some of our old habits, behaviors and tendencies, this is another verse that reminds us that when we can't, He can.  Less of us and more of Him.  My first thought, when memorizing this verse, is that I need to work harder to have the spirit work through me.  However, thanks to my discussion with my friend, I was reminded it's not about working harder to be more like Christ.  It's about abiding in Christ.  It's about staying close and building my relationship with Him.   Father, help me to humble myself and allow your spirit to give me the power, love and self discipline that you promise.   Thanks Jonas.

No comments:

Post a Comment