Saturday, February 5, 2011

If we wait until we feel

like doing something we may not get much done.  I believe my feelings can sometimes not be trusted.  I am not sure where those feelings arise, but I have a few ideas.  What matters most is that I learn to ignore certain feelings.

I once heard our past pastor, John Hampton, say something like this: "If you act the way you want to feel eventually you will feel the way you want to act."  For about 5 years, I never felt like running.  Many said all I had to do was run for 5 months and it would become a habit.  Well, it wasn't until after 5 years that I actually began missing running when I didn't do it.

Had I listened to my feelings, I would never have become a runner.  Now, if I don't run, I feel like I haven't taken a shower, brushed my teeth, eaten breakfast, etc.  In other words, I feel like something is missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment